27 September 2010

Rough Trade Mix Tape for the Spectator

Spencer Hickman, the manager of Rough Trade East (and coordinator of Record Store Day UK, as it says on the business card he once gave me) compiled an awesome mixtape for The Spectator.



Here's the story behind the mixtape;

'This is a collection of music I have been listening to these last few weeks. It is a bit of a grab bag of genres but the thing that ties it all together is that it is pretty dark. After music my other big love is film and more specifically horror films: I have fond memories of being in Vicks Video in West Bromwich when I was 13 or so and my dad renting tapes of The Exorcist and Cannibal Holocaust for me. (He even bought me a big box ex-rental of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.)

I loved the thrill of being scared, and was obsessed with special effects, but one thing that particularly struck me about these horror films – especially the giallo films of Mario Bava and Dario Argento – was their soundtracks. Watching these films and hearing bands such as Goblin affected me profoundly I spent the next 10 years listening to the Streetsounds electro compilations, EBM and just about any goth band going (even the awful ones like Salvation!) People like Fabio Frizzi, who scored Lucio Fulci 's best films (Zombie Flesh Eaters, Beyond, City Of The Living Dead, etc.), were making interesting electronic disco before the term ‘nu disco’ was ever used as a header in a record store.

This really isn’t a ‘throw your hands in the air’ type of mixtape: its pacing is slow, and it takes a while to build. It features some of my favourite current artists, along with some old and almost forgotten gems. I hope you like it. It’s part one of three.'

Tracklist
Emeralds- Summerdata
Oneohtrix Point Never - Returnal
H∆UNT3D HOUS3 - Something in my pocket
The Band Of The World - wax
Fabio Frizzi - sequence no 8
Drums Of Death - Creak
///▲▲▲\\\ - Smiley
Gianni Rossi - Killed Version 4
John Carpenter - Chariots Of Pumpkins
White Ring - Icx999
Salem - Frost
Skinny Puppy - Love
Factory Floor - Lying
oOoOO - Egyptynlvr

Here's the link to the Spectator article, where you can also find a link to download the mixtape: click

I will try to keep track of part 2 and 3 and post them as well, whenever they're ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment